Saturday, September 8, 2007

Happy birthday Joey


Dec. 27, 2006


My baby boy turns one today. Not surprisingly, I’m feeling a little sentimental. People warned me that this first year would be hard. I expected to lose sleep and to lose patience. I expected dirty diapers and loads upon loads of laundry. I expected toys to fill my living room and cheerios to cover the floor. I expected doctor’s visits and baby Tylenol and saline drops and diaper wipes. I read all of the books and knew what to expect with a baby at home. But, I never expected to feel the way I feel today.

I never expected the incredible feeling of tiny arms wrapped around my neck and sweet warm kisses on my cheek. I never expected to feel pure joy when I heard a sweet voice utter “mama” and smile up at me. I never expected that I would be entertained for hours watching chubby knees run around the room and explore one thing after another. I never expected a toothy grin to make me laugh harder than I ever have before. I never expected to fall completely in love with my husband again as I watched him play Daddy. I never expected to love someone this much or this fiercely. I never expected that tiny baby that I held for the first time one year ago to change my heart and my life so completely.

So, today as my little boy pulled cake off of his high chair tray and smeared it all over his face, I felt happy and sad and joyful and sentimental all at once. I laughed as he tasted his first bite of frosting and grinned up at me in pure delight. I cried as he smashed bite after bite into his mouth, amazed that the little boy sitting in front of me was the same tiny baby that I brought home from the hospital just twelve months ago. I held on a little tighter as I pulled my little boy out of his high chair, covered in frosting, praying that I’ll remember to take the time to savor these moments when my baby is still young. I love you, Joey. Happy Birthday.

No comments: