Monday, September 10, 2007

Hot Dogs


Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Status check
5 weeks 5 days pregnant
148 lbs.

This morning, I seriously considered writing a long diatribe about how I’ve been craving broccoli and spinach and lean protein and running five miles every morning. I could’ve impressed you with my incredible health-conscious attitude and my love for all things vegetable. I could’ve bragged about how I’m the only woman on the face of this earth who faces her pregnancy with healthy snacks and moderate exercise all while managing a job and a perfectly-clean house. I really considered it. You would’ve been so impressed by me. But, that would’ve been a lie.

Instead, I’ve spent the last four days doing everything I can to resist my intense cravings for hot dogs (yes, hot dogs… ew!) while wallowing in my own exhaustion on the couch with a sink full of dirty dishes in the kitchen and four loads of laundry sitting on my laundry-room floor. I drove by 7-11 yesterday and saw a picture of a hot dog and literally had to force myself to keep driving instead of running inside and smothering it in mustard and consuming it in two bites I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I don’t usually like hot dogs at all, but right now, a big, juicy hot dog is pretty much at the forefront of my every waking thought. I haven’t consumed one yet, but its doubtful that I’ll make it through the weekend.

Really, the fact that I’m craving hot dogs is a good thing. It means that I’m not sick (yet). In fact, apart from feeling exhausted and weak, pretty much the only thing I am feeling is hungry. I literally feel like I could consume anything and everything in sight. I was so sick during my last pregnancy that I never craved a thing and never felt hungry, so this pregnancy hunger sensation is a new feeling for me. Let’s hope it lasts. Until then, I’ll be satisfying this hunger with celery and carrots and fresh strawberries… ha ha. Who am I kidding… we all know that I’ll probably eat three hot dogs and a bag of chips for lunch.

No comments: