Monday, September 10, 2007

scar face


March 27, 2007

An overly-tired toddler. A slippery pair of socks. A house full of guests all laughing and playing. A small slice of chocolate cake. Sound like a recipe for disaster? Well, it was.


We had friends over for dinner on Saturday night and Joey took quite the tumble. He was tired and loopy and on a sugar-high (I know, I know, I should know better) and a running sprint to give me a hug turned into a crash against the banister that resulted in a cut on his eye that went through to the bone.


I heard it before I saw it; a sickening thud that made my stomach turn. I quickly picked him up and saw the shiny white bone and the blood squirting out and I lost it. I handed Joey over to his Daddy and turned to the wall to keep my balance. Fortunately, one of the friends who was over for dinner happened to be a doctor so he helped us stop the bleeding and get Joey loaded into the car to head to the ER.


In the ER, they strapped my little boy to a “papoose” and stitched him right up while he screamed bloody murder and wailed “no no no no no no!”. It was over in a matter of minutes although my heart pounded for hours. Now he’s no worse for the wear, other than the inch-long bright red cut across his head. His supermodeling career just might be over, but that’s OK. He still has professional football, right?

No comments: