Monday, September 10, 2007

weight gain

March 20, 2007

Status Check:
12 weeks 4 days pregnant
153 lbs. (and growing by the minute)

I gained five pounds last week. Five whole pounds. I went to Kentucky to visit my brother and came back five pounds heavier and not happy about it. Sure, I want to gain weight while pregnant but five pounds in one week is a bit excessive. I remember reading a chart in my doctor’s office saying that I should try to gain 2-3 lbs. during my first trimester. A trimester is 12 weeks long. Somehow I don’t think that gaining five pounds in one week really fits into that plan. Ugh.

There’s something about being pregnant that just makes a body pack on the weight. Seriously, I eat a carrot, I gain a pound. I eat a cheeseburger, I gain five. It’s that simple. The catch-22 to this whole situation is that I’m constantly starving and could easily down three cheeseburgers in one sitting and wash them down with a chocolate milkshake. So, I’m stuck in this strange world where eating is a must but doing so means inevitable weight gain. Can I say ugh again?

So, this week, I decided to try to eat healthy. I had salmon and asparagus last night for dinner and tonight I’m roasting a whole chicken and serving it with spinach salad. My hope is that this will slow down the weight gain a little bit. Of course, more likely than not, that salmon will go right to my hips and that spinach to my belly. Oh well, I can lose it when the baby comes, right?

No comments: