Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Put me out of my misery.... please!


I know that the pregnancy books say that pregnancy only lasts forty weeks but I swear it's much longer than that. Honestly, I can't remember what it feels like to not be pregnant. I know there was a time that I woke up in the morning and didn't have to rush to the bathroom and throw up. Yep, there was a time that I could bend over and pick up my son without getting out of breath. There was even a time that I had more than two pairs of pants that fit. But, that's a distant (and blurry) memory. Right now, I think I've been pregnant forever. Literally forever.

Last week, my hyperemesis took a turn for the worst. Instead of throwing up 4-5 times per day, I started throwing up everything I ate, drank or thought about eating. By Friday morning, I was pretty dehydrated. My doctor had me check my ketones (and fortunately, I have a handy ketone kit left over from my home care days) and they were elevated so they asked me to come into the hospital for an IV. Well, after some blood tests, they found that my potassium levels were dangerously low (which can result in heart failure) and so they admitted me into the hospital. I had to stay overnight and get poked and prodded and loaded up with nine IV bags full of potassium rich fluid.

Honestly, I thought they were just going to deliver my baby. The nurses and doctors stood there trying to figure out which drugs to give me to keep me from throwing up and how to get me hydrated enough to go home. I wanted to scream at them that the perfect solution was to JUST TAKE THE BABY but they didn't listen. Instead, they cited some regulation that my hospital doesn't induce labor for babies less than 39 weeks gestation unless it's a medically critical situation. I was 38 weeks 5 days. Two days short. Needless to say, I'm bitter.

So, here I am, 39 weeks and 2 days pregnant and STILL pregnant. Sure, I have a scheduled c-section on Monday but that's six whole days away and I'm not sure if I can make it. Six more days of throwing up. Six more days of losing my breath everytime I walk up the stairs. Six more days of being unable to chase my son around the living room. Six more days. Feels like a lifetime.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You can make it! Just a few days to go!
We're excited for Payton to have another little girl friend to play with.

Anonymous said...

love them with the mouth open really wide and head back, fill that sweet mouth with my come, youngest one for me was 3 weeks