Monday, September 10, 2007

Ready to try...

January 1, 2007


The decision to have another baby was an easy one. Really, I started craving another tiny sweet-smelling newborn about two weeks after I brought Joey home from the hospital. It wasn’t that I didn’t love Joey or even that I didn’t have my hands full, but simply that I knew that I wanted lots of children and that each child would bring additional joy and life into our household. Yes, having a baby has been difficult at times. Late nights, lack of sleep, dirty diapers and a crazy toddler definitely have taken their toll on me, but sweet kisses and musical babbling more than make up for the trials of parenting and I have always wanted a household full of the laughter of children.

While the decision to have another baby was an easy one, the decision to get pregnant again wasn’t quite so easy. My last pregnancy was no piece of cake. I had morning sickness to the extreme. I threw up multiple times every day for the entire nine months, and ended up spending a good amount of time in the hospital fighting dehydration and weight loss. I swore I would never, ever, ever do it again. When I was pregnant, I couldn’t imagine how any baby could possibly be worth the misery. Of course, the instant my son was born, I had no doubt that every moment, every long night spent hovering over the toilet, every embarrassing time that I threw up in public was worth it. Worth every moment.

I spent the last two months fighting these two conflicting ideas. I want another baby. I don’t want to be pregnant. But, I do want another baby. We considered adoption, but decided that adoption takes several years and that while we may keep that option open in the future, we’d like to have a couple of kids close together first. So, a few weeks ago, we decided to go for it. I knew I was most likely getting myself into months of misery. I knew I’d probably spend days sitting on the bathroom floor throwing up while entertaining an active toddler. I knew I’d probably kick myself for even thinking I was ready to be pregnant again. But, I also knew that the moment I held that precious baby in my arms, I’d forget all about the pain. I know it’ll be worth it. So, with that said, we are officially “trying”.

No comments: