Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Eggplant Polenta Bake

Cam's cousin Ari's friend (wow---four degrees of separation there!) is hosting a recipe contest on her blog-- and as we all know, I lo-ove recipe contests. SO, I'm entering it.

I thought about coming up with a new recipe, but I decided that my tried-and-true favorite is just the thing. So, here's a repost of my Eggplant Polenta Bake-- full of nutrition, hearty and simple, and so good that your family (or husbands) won't even notice the veggies!

Eggplant Polenta Bake

-Brown 2 lbs. ground turkey or Italian sausage in a large skillet. Drain.
-Add 1 chopped eggplant (sounds daunting but it's not... just rinse and chop!) and 1 chopped zucchini. Cook for 7-8 minutes with the meat until tender.
-Wilt in an entire 10 oz. bag of baby spinach
-Wilt in a lg. handful of fresh basil.
-Pour 1 jar of crushed tomatoes (or crush 4-5 of your own tomatoes) over the veggies.
-Boil 3 cups of water on the stove. Slowly pour in 1 1/2 cups ground polenta (or coarse cornmeal). Whisk vigorously until the mixture thickens. Add 1 tsp. italian seasoning and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese.
- Spread the polenta mixture on the bottom of a 9 X 13 pan.
-Cover with vegetable mixture.
-Cover with grated mozzarella and parmesan (as much as you'd like!)
-Bake for 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees.

3 comments:

Jenni said...

Thanks Erin, looks wonderful. I will enter you into the drawing. And also, you have two more opportunities to enter, you can enter once every seven days :) Thanks again!

Jenni @ www.jenniskitchen.com

Ariana said...

Wow, Erin! This does sound really good. I haven't really tried cooking with polenta, but this dish inspires me to try - it sounds so simple!

Susan said...

For all those out there that might be wondering...what is polenta and where do you find it in the store?

Wilting the spinach and basil-is that just steaming it?

I of course know the answers, I just thought I would pose them for all those out there too shy to ask. Really.

Okay, not really. I have no clue.