Monday, September 10, 2007

Babies, puppies & hot summer days


Talk about a slacker. I haven't written in my blog for over two months. I could make up a glamorous excuse as to why. Maybe I spent the last six weeks riding my bike through the Andes and living off the land (don't laugh... it could happen) or perhaps I went on a road trip culminating in a romantic stay at a bed-and-breakfast in the Napa Valley (that's more like it). But the truth? I've spent the last two months wallowing in the couch in pregnancy-induced pity wondering when this hot, sticky summer is going to end.

I hate being pregnant. H.a.t.e. it. Don't get me wrong, I want this baby more than anything, but at this point, the idea of this baby is still a bit abstract and the hours spent hunching over the toilet are fresh in my mind. I'm tired of being sick. Tired of being tired. Tired of being fat. Tired of everything. And, I have 6 weeks and 4 days to go (I'm having a scheduled c-section on Sept. 24th) and that seems like a lifetime. An absolute lifetime.

With that said, after weeks upon weeks of hot, boring drudgery of pregnant summer, we've had quite the exciting week this week. First, my dog Zoe went into labor and whelped 9 healthy puppies. Not the best timing in the world considering the pups will be seven weeks old when I have my baby, but we have puppies nonetheless. Joey loves them. I'm dreading the day that they are big enough to get out of the whelping box. My husband is looking forward to the day that they go to their forever homes and we get a nice little payday. I'm already dreaming of some new non-pregnancy clothes. Ann Taylor Loft, here I come (talk about wishful thinking... as if I'll fit into non-pregnancy clotehs anytime soon).

Second, my first nephew Jacob was born on Tuesday morning. He is just precious (check out his picture above). Unfortunately, he's caught a bit of an infection and is currently spending a few days in the NICU. The doctors think he'll be fine, but that doesn't make me worry less. Nonetheless, I'm in love with my new little baby and I'm getting my baby fix from holding him. I'm still not impressed that I have more than six weeks to go... but having a stretchy, sleepy baby in my arms definitely eases the pain.

I promise it won't be this long again. Well, at least for awhile... once this baby is born, who knows what I'll find to occupy my time.

No comments: