Monday, September 10, 2007

The calm before the storm


Sunday, January 21st, 2007

Status Check:
4 weeks 2 days pregnant
147 lbs.

I’m pregnant. I’m pregnant. I keep having to remind myself because I don’t really feel pregnant. I’m not bloated. I’m not tired. I’m not even nauseous. I feel pretty much the same as always, except for this lurking thought in the back of my mind that I’m pregnant. In less than nine months, I will have another tiny life to take care of. I will have a tiny baby to cuddle and a tiny hand to hold.

Right now, I’m feeling like I’m sitting smack-dab in the middle of the calm before the storm. I’m feeling good but I know that all of the aches and pains of pregnancy are probably just around the corner. With Joey, I didn’t even know I was pregnant until I was six weeks along. I remember feeling pretty good for the first week or so and then the nausea hit me like a ton of bricks. By the time I was eight weeks along, I spending the majority of my time in the ER, hooked up to an IV as I was simply unable to eat or drink. At ten weeks, I was hospitalized, admitted for dehydration and weight loss. I was not one of the fortunate ones whose nausea went away after my first trimester. Instead, I battled constant nausea and vomiting for the entire pregnancy. What was I thinking?

I sat down and calculated it out today. If I follow the pattern of my last pregnancy, I should be OK for the next few weeks. I’m going to live it up as much as I can. I already wrote a list for my husband. In the next two weeks, I want to go to Trudy’s for stuffed avacados and Central Market for blackberry French toast. I want spicy coconut soup from Firebowl and Mexican vanilla ice cream from Amy’s. I want cannelloni from Brick Oven and a greasy hamburger from Red Robin. I figure that since I probably won’t be eating a lot after that, I need to eat well while I can. That’s exactly what I’m going to do.

No comments: